There has been a Catholic school in Temora almost from the beginning of the town. In 1881, the year following the proclamation of the Temora goldfield, Mr McCarthy and Mrs O’Rourke conducted a Catholic School on the present site of the Sacred Heart Church. In 1885, Mr J.J. Hogan was the headmaster, and the Sisters of St Joseph arrived in Temora in 1887 to take over the school; the Sisters taught in the school continually until 2002, and even today they retain a significant role here.
The school has had several sites. The original school was the old Church building, which faced De Boos Street – approximately where the sanctuary of the present Church is located. The first separate school building was opened in 1900. The school was called St Joseph’s School and 125 pupils were enrolled when the school moved to their new brick building. Additions were completed (fronting Loftus Street) in 1913 to accommodate 190 pupils. This building comprises the present St Joseph’s Hall, used for school functions and for music classes.
Further increases in enrolments up to the 1930s saw the need to further expand the school facilities. In 1934 the front section of the present St Anne’s building was erected. This sufficed for school needs until 1964 when, in accordance with the Wyndham Scheme, a science laboratory was added along with additional classrooms to facilitate the change from three to four year secondary education.
With growing emphasis being placed on Technology and Research, further extensions comprising of a new Library, Food Technology, Textiles and Design Room, and Industrial Arts room were completed in 1971.
In response to growing educational needs of the students a further building program was undertaken. This new program, consisting of three classrooms, a careers room and uniform store, refurbishment of the administration area and specialist computer laboratory, was ready for the commencement of the 1997 school year and was blessed and opened by Archbishop Francis Carroll in May of that same year.
In an effort to provide a sun safe environment, application was made to the CEO for a grant to support the erection of shade areas. With strong voluntary parental support, two Covered Outdoor Learning Areas (COLAs) were constructed. These have proved to be an asset for learning and recreation. Establishment of garden areas has further enhanced them.
In November 2003 the Sisters of St Joseph donated the convent to the Sacred Heart Parish and school for a more functional use. The Sisters moved to smaller self-contained units in the Southern Cross Village, Temora.
At the end of 2006, the secondary section of the school was closed, to the great dismay of the community, and after further consultation Archbishop Mark Coleridge agreed it could be re-opened if it complied with strict enrolment provisions. The parents agreed, the conditions were met, and the secondary school was re-opened on a year-by-year basis after being closed for one year (2007).
In 2009 the Australian Government announced the Building the Education Revolution, and a two million dollar grant enabled the redevelopment of the school in order to provide an enhanced library as well as improved student facilities. At the same time, because of the restructure, the administrative area was renovated and additional classrooms made available.